From our study in 2 Peter, I put a challenge out to our Grace Groups to make simple ‘observations’ from the first few verses on the false teacher. Here’s what I came up with.
What’s said of the false teachers? V1-3
- Similar to false prophets of OT
- They WILL be among the church; sneak in
- They will operate secretly; deceiving
- They will bring in destructive heresies; this isn’t light stuff.
- They will deny Jesus (Christological confusion at best)
- They will bring destruction
- Upon themselves
- They will be sensual; sexuality is exploited and perverted
- Others will follow their sensuality
- The truth will be blasphemed; truth takes a back seat to subjectivity, or experience
- They are greedy; never enough
- They will exploit the church
- They will lie; like Satan, the father of lies, the propagator
- Condemnation awaits them
- Destruction is in front of them
Go here to listen to the sermon and follow along with the Grace Group notes.