Seriously, I have a few things to groan about. So, naturally I’ve been in groan mode for a bit. But now the list is getting longer and the groaning is turning to laughter. I wonder why? I wonder if it’s God’s way of getting me to Stop It! Stop complaining, stop pouting.
Humor me by letting me therapeutically write this out. You may find something familiar in your own story today.
You ever have those times when everything is breaking, like all at once, or at least in one long continual stream of events? I’m almost afraid to go anywhere, because something will break.
Here’s my list that makes me laugh:
1. First day of travel to California: ipod quits working. Like in one instant, it’s playing, but no sound.
2. Within first hour of travel to Tucson, CD player quits working. It reads: “see dealer”.
3. Within first 10 minutes of leaving Tucson (3pm, mid-July, 100+) a/c goes out.
4. An hour before company arrives, toilet breaks, leaks to a constant running.
5. Company arrives, screen door falls off. Like on top of them.
6. For the past two Mondays, I have to spend way too much time on IT stuff to figure out how to get my computer properly working with office server. Why?
7. Truck odometer reads the multi-hundreds-of-dollars maintenance is due (in man-talk that means over-due)
8. Because one car is in shop getting a/c fixed, I ride my bike only to get a flat tire on way home.
9. After a nice walk home I’m welcomed with an old medical bill sent with an apology, but with a huge balance due.
10. This morning, power window switch quits working in truck.
11. Now at my office the barking dog next door is relentlessly crying for someone’s attention. Next door means right on the other side of my 4inch wall. Directly.
You see why I’m laughing? Partly because the list grows everyday, but mostly because as I ponder this little list I realize none of this matters. Like really, not one bit. It all has to be dealt with, but really nothing on this list is of significant loss.
1. ipod? Big deal. We have radio. We can drive in quiet and talk if we want
2. cd player? Big deal. We have radio. We have quiet time. Still stuff to talk about.
3. a/c? Okay, very inconvienient, but once we get out of the dreaded desert, we do live where a/c is mostly optional. We still can drive home in a nice car. We can have the windows down (every man’s dream). Not so quiet. No talking.
4. Toilet? We have two. (Odd Bonus: company came and fixed toilet!)
5. Screen door? We actually own a house. Close the door or buy a flyswatter.
6. IT? At least I have a good computer. Working through the server is always optional.
7. Truck maintenance? Really who believes those books anyway? It’s all a scam to get you to spend too much money. Runs fine. For now.
8. I own a nice bike.
9. I live where I can walk home in July and love every minute of it. I have insurance that covered most (apparently not as “most” as I hoped) of a medical procedure in a clean, modern hospital.
10. Power windows? Are you kidding me? I have 3 other windows in my truck that open. Three. I’m spoiled.
11. Dogs eventually leave the vets and go home.
What a fun list. Your list may not be quite as easy. You may be going through stuff that really does matter. My list ranges from a .50 cent fuse to a few thousand dollars of bills and repairs. Whether your list is laughable or seriously causing pain, let’s choose not to complain, but bring our stuff (great and small) before a loving God and trust Him with the ‘why’ of right now.
I’m not lying…the dog just quit barking. Things are already looking up!
Have a great day. Regardless.